RIO DE JANEIRO A cat carrying a saw and a mobile phone was "detained" as it entered a prison gate in northeast Brazil, Brazilian media reported on Saturday.
Prison guards were surprised when they saw a white cat crossing the main gate of the prison, its body wrapped with tape. A closer look showed the feline also carried drills, an earphone, a memory card, batteries and a phone charger.
All 263 detainees in the prison of Arapiraca, a city of 215,000 people in the state of Alagoas, are considered suspect in the plot, which is being investigated by local police.
"It's tough to find out who's responsible for the action as the cat doesn't speak," a prison spokesperson told local paper Estado de S.Paulo.
The cat was taken to an animal disease center to receive medical care.
The incident took place on New Year's day but was first reported by national media on Saturday.
(Reporting by Walter Brandimarte; Editing by Vicki Allen)
Trending On Reuters
Turkey's top brass and political leaders were poised to launch a major overhaul of the armed forces on Thursday after a failed military coup that has shaken the nation of nearly 80 million people and alarmed its NATO allies. Full Article
- Armed with party support, Clinton to make case for the White House
- German police raid mosque and apartments in crackdown on Salafists
- Second French church attacker was known to police - sources
- Senior Pakistani officer to investigate British woman's suspected 'honour killing'
- Fervent jihadist or suicidal refugee: the many faces of Bavarian bomber