RIO DE JANEIRO A cat carrying a saw and a mobile phone was "detained" as it entered a prison gate in northeast Brazil, Brazilian media reported on Saturday.
Prison guards were surprised when they saw a white cat crossing the main gate of the prison, its body wrapped with tape. A closer look showed the feline also carried drills, an earphone, a memory card, batteries and a phone charger.
All 263 detainees in the prison of Arapiraca, a city of 215,000 people in the state of Alagoas, are considered suspect in the plot, which is being investigated by local police.
"It's tough to find out who's responsible for the action as the cat doesn't speak," a prison spokesperson told local paper Estado de S.Paulo.
The cat was taken to an animal disease center to receive medical care.
The incident took place on New Year's day but was first reported by national media on Saturday.
(Reporting by Walter Brandimarte; Editing by Vicki Allen)
Trending On Reuters
Major powers agreed on Friday to a pause in combat in Syria, but Russia pressed on with its relentless bombing in support of its ally President Bashar al-Assad, who vowed to fight on until he regains full control of the country. Full Article
- Two teens shot at high school in Phoenix suburb, police say
- INTERVIEW - China urges U.N. action to make North Korea "pay price"
- In Myanmar, political mood sours as transition talks hit a snag
- Five U.N. peackeepers killed by truck bomb, mortar fire in Mali
- Pakistan says no "organised presence" of Islamic State, despite intelligence chief's warning