March 1 Dollar Tree Inc
* At conf call - operate 226 stores in canada and believe we
have an opportunity for 1000 stores over time
* Q4 top-performing categories for Dollar Tree include
candy, seasonal, party supplies , snacks and beverages, toys and
* Q4 top-performing categories for Family Dollar included
electronics, snacks and beverage, candy, men's apparel and cough
and cold supplies
* 2017 real estate plans include 650 new stores- 350 Dollar
Tree and 300 Family Dollar stores.
* Planning for capital expenditures of $760 million-$780
million, will be focused on new stores and remodels
* Forecast does not include share repurchases for 2017
* CEO- "we, like most other retailers, feel that the border
tax would result in a significant burden to the consumer, both
through reduced choices and higher prices"
* CEO- "working with the NRF , Retail Industry Leaders
Association and the Americans For Affordable Products group to
express our concerns"
* On rivals investing in price- "we are going to watch
everyone this year as we go into price checks and see what they
are doing across the shelves and we will react accordingly, but
to some degree, it's not new news"
* "we are going to be mindful of where a Walmart is (on
pricing) and certainly anybody in our sector , but we have more
than one tool to go to to show customers value in our store"
Further company coverage: