(Updates factors, adds news item)
Dec 21 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening lower 12
points at 7,032 on Wednesday, according to financial bookmakers, with futures
down 0.13 percent ahead of the cash market open.
* The UK blue chip index closed up 0.4 percent at 7,043.96 points on
Tuesday, helped by gains in Carnival and strength in the banking sector
as Lloyds rose after a deal to buy a credit card business.
* BANK PENALTY: The Swiss Competition Commission (COMCO) said it had fined
several European and U.S. banks over four instances of interest rate cartels.
Royal Bank of Scotland received full immunity for revealing the
existence of the cartel to the COMCO. Barclays was also fined 29.8
million francs for participating in a cartel in euro interest rate derivatives.
* MEGGITT/QINETIQ: British car and aeroplane parts maker Meggitt
said it had sold its defence unit to UK firm QinetiQ for 57.5 million
pounds ($71 million) in cash, as part of a plan to focus on sectors where it has
a leading position.
* BHP BILLITON: Brazilian iron ore miner Vale said on Tuesday it
signed a non-binding agreement with BHP Billiton to allow the
use of its Timbopeba pit to deposit tailings from iron miner Samarco when that
company restarts operations.
* ROLLS-ROYCE: Rolls-Royce Corp of Indianapolis, Indiana, a unit of
Rolls-Royce Holdings Plc, has been awarded a $408 million modification to
a contract to provide maintenance support for V-22 AE1107C engines for the U.S.
Marine Corps and Air Force, the Pentagon said in a statement on Tuesday.
* UK INFLATION: The British public's long-term expectation for inflation
rose to 3 percent in December, a more than two-year high, according to a closely
watched survey by polling company YouGov.
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News : topnews.reuters.com
(Reporting by Esha Vaish in Bengaluru; Editing by Amrutha Gayathri)