Feb 21 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening down 2
points at 7298 on Tuesday, according to financial bookmakers.
* The blue-chip FTSE 100 index closed flat in percentage terms at 7,299.86
points after climbing to an intra-day high of 7,329.56, the highest level since
the middle of January.
* BHP: Mining giant BHP Billiton rewarded shareholders with
a bigger-than-expected dividend on Tuesday, signalling its growing confidence
amid a resurgence in commodity prices.
* HSBC: HSBC Holdings reported a 62 percent slump in annual pre-tax
profit that fell way short of analysts' estimates due to one-time charges
related to some businesses, and announced a new $1 billion share buy-back.
* COPPER: Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange traded
flat at $6,071 a tonne by 0112 GMT, holding gains after a 1.9 percent rally the
session before when it struck $6,105 a tonne, the strongest since Feb. 14.
* GOLD: Spot gold inched down 0.2 percent to $1,235.08 per ounce at
0058 GMT, while U.S. gold futures GCcv1 also fell 0.2 percent to $1,236.2. The
dollar index edged up 0.1 percent to 101.09.
* OIL: U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude was up 27 cents, or 0.5
percent, at $53.67 a barrel at 0511 GMT, after rising about 0.5 percent in a
shortened session on Monday due to a U.S. national holiday.
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
Galliford Try Plc Half Year 2017 Earnings
HSBC Holdings Plc Full Year 2016 Earnings
BHP Billiton Plc Half Year 2017 Earnings
Anglo American Plc Full Year 2016 Earnings
Vernalis Plc Q2 2017 Earnings
John Wood Group Plc Full Year 2016 Earnings
InterContinental Hotels Group Plc Preliminary 2016 Earnings
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News : topnews.reuters.com
(Reporting by Sanjeeban Sarkar in Bengaluru; Editing by Sunil Nair)