(Adds details, background)
Jan 12 British homewares retailer Dunelm Group
Plc said on Thursday its like-for-like sales for the
second quarter improved 0.2 percent on improved sales of
seasonal items and higher online sales.
* The seller of cushions, curtain and baking equipment said
its like-for-like sales for the second quarter ended Dec. 31
would have risen 1.7 percent, if it had included two more days
of winter sale.
* Total revenue for the quarter rose 6.6 percent, including
its recent acquisition of Worldstores.
* The homewares market is relatively fragmented, and so
Dunelm's brand consistency and attractive prices appeal to
* "The homewares market has continued to decline but we
believe that we are continuing to outperform the market as a
whole," the company said.
* Dunelm has also resorted to selling its products online to
boost flagging sales of housewares at its stores.
* In a bid to boost its online presence, Dunelm bought one
of the UK's largest online retailers of products for the home
and garden, Worldstores, among other assets in November last
* Sales at its Worldstores business improved 8.1 percent,
helping total home delivery sales for the quarter rise by 21.7
(Reporting by Vidya L Nathan in Bengaluru; Editing by Sunil