London An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 struck off the coast of the Solomon islands in the Pacific Ocean, the U.S. Geological Survey said on Friday.
The depth of the quake was 10 km (6.2 miles) and the epicentre was 68 km southwest of Lata. The quake hit at 9:16 a.m. local time on Saturday.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not immediately issue any alerts on its website.
(Editing by Sophie Hares)
Trending On Reuters
Barack Obama on Friday became the first incumbent U.S. president to visit Hiroshima, site of the world's first atomic bombing, in a gesture Tokyo and Washington hope will showcase their alliance and reinvigorate efforts to rid the world of nuclear arms. Read
- N.Korea threatens retaliation after S.Korean warning shots
- Islamic State drives Syria rebels from near Turkish border
- Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- Bashing Trump not enough for Democrats to win Latino vote, advocates warn
- Iraqis fleeing Mosul to Syria, up to 50,000 anticipated - UNHCR