London An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 struck off the coast of the Solomon islands in the Pacific Ocean, the U.S. Geological Survey said on Friday.
The depth of the quake was 10 km (6.2 miles) and the epicentre was 68 km southwest of Lata. The quake hit at 9:16 a.m. local time on Saturday.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not immediately issue any alerts on its website.
(Editing by Sophie Hares)
Trending On Reuters
Hillary Clinton secured the Democratic Party's U.S. presidential nomination on Tuesday, coming back from a stinging 2008 defeat in her first White House run and surviving a bitter primary fight to become the first woman to head the ticket of a major party in U.S. history. Full Article
- Japanese police raid house of knife attack suspect
- Islamists attack French church, slit priest's throat
- Philippines says omission of arbitration ruling in ASEAN statement not a Chinese victory
- Kerry hopes to work with Russia on Syria, U.N. aims to restart talks
- Malaysia's Najib gets new powers amid planned protests over fund scandal