CAIRO The head of the Egyptian military said political conflict in the country could lead to the collapse of the state and protecting the Suez Canal was one of the main objectives of an army deployment in nearby cities shaken by violence.
"The continuation of the struggle of the different political forces ... over the management of state affairs could lead to the collapse of the state," General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who is also defence minister, said. His remarks were published on the official Facebook page of the army spokesman.
(Writing by Tom Perry)
Trending On Reuters
Republican front-runner Donald Trump went from long-shot contender to become the party's presumptive nominee on Tuesday with a commanding win in Indiana, and the party began to coalesce around him as top rival Ted Cruz bowed out of the race. Full Article
- Exiting 2016 race, Republican Cruz leaves himself a path forward
- Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- Rebels launch assault in Syria's Aleppo, diplomats try to revive truce
- Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile tests
- Kerry warns Syria's Assad of 'repercussions' if truce, transition fail