CAIRO The death toll in violence at the Cairo headquarters of the Republican Guard on Monday rose to 51, the head of Egypt's emergency services said.
The number of wounded was 435, Mohamed Sultan said.
The military said "a terrorist group" had tried to storm the building. The Muslim Brotherhood said the army opened fire while some Islamist demonstrators were holding morning prayer outside the barracks were toppled President Mohamed Mursi was being held.
(Reporting By Shadia Nasralla)
Trending On Reuters
A computer network used by Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s campaign was hacked as part of a broad cyber attack on Democratic political organizations, people familiar with the matter told Reuters. Full Article | U.S. Rust Belt trip
- Turkey's Erdogan slams West for failure to show solidarity over coup attempt
- Pope visits Auschwitz, says same horrors happening today
- U.S. Navy to name ship after gay activist Harvey Milk
- Democratic fund-raising group for U.S. Congress candidates confirms hack
- U.S. authorities subpoena Goldman in 1MDB probe - WSJ