DUESSELDORF, Germany German police have arrested two suspects after a series of assaults on women during New Year's Eve celebrations in Cologne, a police spokeswoman said on Friday.
The two are males aged 16 and 23 and have "North African roots," the police spokeswoman said. She gave no further details on their backgrounds.
Some 121 women are reported to have been robbed, threatened or sexually molested in Cologne by gangs of mostly drunk men while out celebrating.
A interior ministry spokesman said earlier on Friday that among 31 people who were questioned by police that night, 18 were seeking asylum in Germany.
(Reporting by Matthias Inveradi,; writing by Michael Nienaber,; editing by Larry King)
Trending On Reuters
A massive California wildfire that has already killed two people and destroyed 100 structures was burning out of control on Friday evening as officials said it was possible more victims could be found in the rubble. Full Article
- China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan
- Clinton regains double-digit lead over Trump - Reuters/Ipsos poll
- New York LGBT bar becomes first U.S. monument to gay rights
- Pentagon expected to repeal ban on transgender members next month
- U.S. strikes Afghan Taliban targets, in debut of broader role