SYDNEY Feb 28 London copper was steady on Tuesday as investors looked towards a speech by U.S. President Donald Trump for more clarity on his economic policy, while persistent concerns over supply from large mines in Chile and Indonesia continued to buoy prices.
* Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange was steady at $5,935 a tonne at 0100 GMT, after edging up 0.1 percent in the previous session.
* The most-traded copper contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange was up 0.21 percent at 47,970 yuan ($6,985) a tonne.
* Investors are waiting for a speech by Trump on Tuesday for signals on tax reform and infrastructure spending.
* A strike at the Escondida copper mine in Chile, the world's largest, appeared far from ending on Monday as the conflict neared its third week, with the union denying a news report that it had returned to talks with mine owner BHP Billiton .
* Shareholders are pressuring miner Freeport-McMoRan Inc to stand up to the Indonesian government over changes the Southeast Asian country wants to make in the U.S. miner's contract, Freeport's chief executive officer said on Monday.
* London zinc prices have nearly doubled over the past 13 months and are closing in on nine-year highs, but signs of tightening in the global market for refined zinc means the rally may have further to run. * For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
* Asian shares edged up on Tuesday, bolstered by gains on Wall Street.
* The U.S. dollar was firmer against a basket of currencies on Monday.
DATA/EVENTS 0745 France Detailed GDP Q4 0745 France Producer prices Jan 1330 U.S. GDP 2nd estimate Q4 1330 U.S. Goods trade balance Jan 1400 U.S. S&P/Case-Shiller housing index Dec 1500 U.S. Consumer confidence Feb
Three month LME copper
Most active ShFE copper
Three month LME aluminium
Most active ShFE aluminium
Three month LME zinc
Most active ShFE zinc
Three month LME lead
Most active ShFE lead
Three month LME nickel
Most active ShFE nickel
Three month LME tin
Most active ShFE tin
($1 = 6.8675 Chinese yuan renminbi) (Reporting by James Regan; Editing by Joseph Radford)
Morning News Call - India, June 23
(India Morning Newsletter will not be published on Monday, June 26, as markets are closed for Eid-Ul-Fitr) To access the newsletter, click on the link: http://share.thomsonreuters.com/assets/newsletters/Indiamorning/MNC_IN_06232017.pdf If you would like to receive this newsletter via email, please register at: https://forms.thomsonreuters.com/india-morning/ FACTORS TO WATCH 10:00 am: Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu at an event in New Delhi. 11:00