March 30 Gold prices held steady on Thursday,
supported by uncertainties on the impact of Britain's departure
from the European Union, U.S. policy under President Donald
Trump and French elections, but at the same time capped by a
* Spot gold was down 0.1 percent at $1,251.22 per
ounce, as of 0059 GMT. U.S. gold futures eased 0.2
percent to $1,250.9.
* The dollar index was up 0.1 percent at 100.07.
* The dollar hovered near a one-week high against a basket
of currencies on Thursday, buoyed by a weaker euro which sagged
as prospects of the European Central Bank stepping away from
monetary easing faded.
* Prime Minister Theresa May formally began Brexit -
Britain's divorce from the European Union - on Wednesday,
declaring there was no turning back and ushering in a tortuous
exit process that will test the bloc's cohesion and pitch her
country into the unknown.
* The U.S. Federal Reserve will raise interest rates at
least twice this year, and possibly up to four times - although
that would require an improvement in fundamentals, Chicago Fed
President Charles Evans said on Wednesday
* With the U.S. economy having now "largely attained" a full
recovery from recession, the Fed can raise interest rates three
or more times this year, a centrist Fed policymaker said on
* Wall Street has tempered its expectations for sweeping
U.S. tax cuts in the wake of President Donald Trump's stinging
healthcare defeat, a move that could push investors to embrace
cheaper global stocks after the heady U.S. rally of recent
* Former Prime Minister Manuel Valls said on Wednesday he
would vote for Emmanuel Macron in France's presidential
election, becoming the biggest Socialist Party name to turn his
back on its official candidate and support the centrist instead.
* El Salvador's Congress on Wednesday approved a law
prohibiting all metal mining projects in a bid to protect the
poor Central American country's environment and natural
* The decoupling of a pipeline at Barrick Gold Corp's
Veladero mine in Argentina on Tuesday posed no threat
to the environment, the company said in a statement on Wednesday
while local authorities investigated the incident. The rupture
of the pipe carrying gold and silver solution was reported to
the mining ministry of San Juan province late on Tuesday.
* Polyus , Russia's largest gold producer, may hold
a secondary share offering in Moscow in the near future, Yuri
Soloviev, first deputy president of VTB bank, said on Wednesday.
DATA AHEAD GMT0900 Euro zone Business climate
Mar0900 Euro zone Consumer confidence Mar1200 Germany
Consumer prices Mar1230 U.S. GDP Final
Q41230 U.S. Weekly jobless claims
(Reporting by Arpan Varghese in BENGALURU; Editing by Kenneth