THE HAGUE The International Criminal Court acquitted Congolese warlord Ngudjolo Chui of all charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity on Tuesday.
Ngudjolo had been accused by prosecutors of directing militias to kill, pillage and rape during a conflict in the northeastern Ituri province of Congo in 2003.
Presiding judge Bruno Cotte said atrocities had been committed during the conflict but prosecutors had failed to tie them to Ngudjolo.
(Reporting By Thomas Escritt; Editing by Sara Webb)
Trending On Reuters
N.Korea launched a long-range rocket on Sunday carrying what it has called a satellite, but its neighbours and Washington denounced the launch as a missile test, conducted in defiance of U.N. sanctions and just weeks after a nuclear bomb test. Full Article | Video
- More pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, about 120 people still trapped
- More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus - government
- Rubio falters in presidential debate
- Malaysia's new Twitter police target critics of PM Najib
- Critic of Vatican refuses to step down from sex abuse commission