May 26 (Reuters) - Dollar Tree Inc
* On conf call- top-performing categories included household products, food, snacks and beverage and party supplies
* On conf call- same-store sales growth was strongest in the Mid Atlantic followed closely by the midwest and the northeast
* On conf call- primary contributor to year-over-year increase in inventory levels relates to west coast port disruptions a year ago
* On conf call- believe current inventory levels appropriate to support scheduled new store openings and q2 sales initiatives
* On conf call- inventory per selling square foot increased 7.2% at Q1 quarter end
* On conf call- have budgeted lower diesel fuel and import freight costs than a year ago in outlook
* Ceo on conf call- "in all retail cycles consumers are looking for value no matter what the state of the economy"
* Exec on conf call- "when times are tough we'll sell more consumer goods when times improve we sell a little more discretionary"
* Exec on conf call- in Q1 sold a little more discretionary product because of the impact of easter
* Exec on conf call- our discretionary business has been a very bright spot for us, outpacing our consumables this quarter Further company coverage: (Bengaluru Newsroom: +1 646 223 8780)