RIO DE JANEIRO Police killed at least 11 people in a raid on Friday in the Cidade de Deus (City of God) slum, made famous in a hit film of the same name about Rio drug gangs.
Law enforcement officials said 10 of the people killed were suspected drug traffickers and one was a woman who lived in the neighborhood.
Two women were also wounded during the shootout between police and the suspected traffickers, who had taken refuge in a house in the slum after fleeing from authorities.
Police seized six automatic rifles, five grenades and drugs during the raid. Authorities also sent reinforcements after the raid to prevent retaliation from drug gangs or protests from residents of the neighborhood.
Rio police are notorious for rough tactics against drug gangs that control many of the city's shantytowns.
Trending On Reuters
Major powers agreed on Friday to a pause in combat in Syria, but Russia pressed on with its relentless bombing in support of its ally President Bashar al-Assad, who vowed to fight on until he regains full control of the country. Full Article
- Two teens shot at high school in Phoenix suburb, police say
- INTERVIEW - China urges U.N. action to make North Korea "pay price"
- In Myanmar, political mood sours as transition talks hit a snag
- Five U.N. peackeepers killed by truck bomb, mortar fire in Mali
- Pakistan says no "organised presence" of Islamic State, despite intelligence chief's warning