MUNICH, Germany There is no alternative to tightening sanctions against Iran over its nuclear work if it does not meet western demands and Russia must show it is ready help with such a move, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said.
"We need the Russians to help so that sanctions against Iran are effective," Sarkozy told the Munich Security Conference.
"We only have one solution left, reinforce sanctions against Iran and link Russia to this process," he added. "It is up to Russia to decide which face it wants to show. If it wants peace it should show it. If it wants to be a (global player), it should help us with Iran."
Trending On Reuters
The Iraqi army stormed to the southern edge of Falluja under U.S. air support on Monday, launching a direct assault to retake the city from Islamic State (IS) militants and help protect the nearby capital Baghdad from suicide bombings. Read
- Syrian opposition negotiator quits after talks' failure
- Mass coral bleaching casts shadow over future of Great Barrier Reef
- Turkish shelling kills 28 Islamic State fighters north of Aleppo - TV
- Roadside bomb kills two police in southeast Turkey - security sources
- Against a backdrop of motorcycles, Trump pledges to help veterans