MUNICH, Germany There is no alternative to tightening sanctions against Iran over its nuclear work if it does not meet western demands and Russia must show it is ready help with such a move, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said.
"We need the Russians to help so that sanctions against Iran are effective," Sarkozy told the Munich Security Conference.
"We only have one solution left, reinforce sanctions against Iran and link Russia to this process," he added. "It is up to Russia to decide which face it wants to show. If it wants peace it should show it. If it wants to be a (global player), it should help us with Iran."
Trending On Reuters
North Korea kicked off the first congress of its ruling Workers' Party in 36 years on Friday, with Kim Jong Un expected to further consolidate his control over a country that has grown increasingly isolated over its pursuit of nuclear weapons. Full Article
- Air strikes hit camp in Syria, U.S. condemns Assad statement
- Islamist rebels seize village near Aleppo, 73 killed - monitor
- Exclusive - Top reason Americans will vote for Trump: "To stop Clinton" - Reuters poll
- Afghan president moves acting defence minister to head spy agency
- Britain's Labour suffers losses in regional election, awaits London mayor result