WASHINGTON The White House called Mahmoud Ahmadinejad the "elected leader" of Iran on Tuesday when asked whether President Barack Obama recognized the Iranian president after the country's disputed election.
"This was a decision and a debate ongoing in Iran by Iranians, they were going to choose their leadership," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said. "He's the elected leader."
The White House has been careful not to comment on the legitimacy of the Iranian election and has condemned the government for its crackdown on opposition demonstrators.
Trending On Reuters
The Afghan Taliban have named Haibatullah Akhunzada their new leader, a spokesman said in a statement on Wednesday that gave the group's first official confirmation that former leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour had been killed in a U.S. drone strike. Full Article
- Ten killed in suicide attack near Afghan capital
- No sign of EgyptAir plane technical problems before takeoff - sources
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Paying the ultimate price on Mount Everest
- Insight: Philippine death squads very much in business as Duterte set for presidency