NEW DELHI All shows on the first day of India's biggest fashion event were cancelled on Wednesday after organisers could not furnish mandatory fire safety permits.
Authorities had put up huge tents at an exhibition complex in New Delhi where 130 designers were to showcase their autumn/winter collections during the five-day Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week.
Hundreds of people were waiting for the much delayed opening show when organisers announced the cancellation of the day's schedule after police officials didn't allow the show to go on.
"They don't have a no-objection certificate from the Delhi Police which is given after a clearance from the fire department," Delhi's chief fire officer R.C. Sharma told Reuters.
"We sent a team in the morning but they were not complying with the standards."
Fashion Week organisers were unavailable for comment.
Designer Nida Mahmood, who was supposed to open the fashion week with a street typography and scrap-inspired collection, said she was upset and disappointed when her show was delayed and then cancelled.
"I was backstage with my models. I really don't know what happened," she said.
Sunil Sethi, president of the Fashion Design Council of India which organises the fashion week, told reporters the day's shows had been called off. But there was still no word on whether the event would resume on Thursday.
"I don't think anyone knows right now," said designer Tarun Tahiliani. (Editing by Tony Tharakan)
Home, studio of late U.S. rocker Prince to be opened to public
Paisley Park, the suburban Minneapolis estate and studio of late rock musician Prince, will be opened for public tours starting on Oct. 6, the administrator of the singer's estate said.
French PM defends burkini ban but some in cabinet wary
PARIS French Prime Minister Manuel Valls defended a ban on burkinis in more than a dozen coastal towns on Thursday, saying France was locked in a "battle of cultures" and that the full-body swimsuit symbolised the enslavement of women.
Malaysian rapper accused of insulting Islam released on bail
KUALA LUMPUR A Malaysian rapper, who had been held in police custody for four days over a music video he produced that allegedly insulted Islam, was released on bail on Thursday, while the country's attorney-general decides whether to press charges.