KABUL The Afghan Taliban said on Thursday a U.S. plan to withdraw 10,000 troops from Afghanistan by the end of this year was only symbolic and that more serious steps were needed "to stop this pointless bloodshed".
"Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan once again wants to make it clear that the solution for the Afghan crisis lies in the full withdrawal of all foreign troops immediately and (while) this does not happen, our armed struggle will increase from day to day," the Taliban said in a statement emailed to media.
(Reporting by Paul Tait)
Trending On Reuters
Hillary Clinton secured the Democratic Party's U.S. presidential nomination on Tuesday, coming back from a stinging 2008 defeat in her first White House run and surviving a bitter primary fight to become the first woman to head the ticket of a major party in U.S. history. Full Article
- Japanese police raid house of knife attack suspect
- Islamists attack French church, slit priest's throat
- Philippines says omission of arbitration ruling in ASEAN statement not a Chinese victory
- Kerry hopes to work with Russia on Syria, U.N. aims to restart talks
- Malaysia's Najib gets new powers amid planned protests over fund scandal