* The BSE index gains 0.2 percent, while the NSE index
advances 0.11 percent.
* Gains also track higher Asian shares after a survey shows
China's manufacturing sector expanded for the first time in 13
months in November.
* Banking stocks are among the leading gainers on hopes the
winter session of parliament kicking off on Thursday will pass
bills to liberalise the insurance, pension and banking sectors.
* The Indian government's move to allow state-run Life Insurance
Corp (LIC) to triple the maximum stake it can hold in other
companies to 30 percent also helping banks, dealers say.
* The government owns stakes in lenders including SBI and Axis,
reducing potential overhang fears.
* State Bank of India gains 1.2 percent, after falling
2.3 percent in November as on Wednesday's close. Axis Bank
gains 1.6 percent.