* Nifty futures on the Singapore Exchange rise 0.16
percent. The MSCI-Asia Pacific index excluding Japan
is up 0.58 percent.
* Asian shares edged higher on Thursday, mirroring U.S. and
European stock rises overnight, as sentiment improved after a
senior U.S. lawmaker said he was "optimistic" on reaching a
budget deal before the end of the year to avoid a fiscal crisis.
* Foreign investors bought 10.82 billion rupees of stocks, while
domestic institutions sold 2.08 billion rupees on Tuesday, when
the BSE index rose 1.65 percent.
* India's parliament resumes for a fifth day after being
paralysed for the first four days of the ongoing winter session
and a public holiday on Wednesday.
* India's government failed on Wednesday to persuade the
opposition to drop its demand for a vote on a recent decision to
allow foreign supermarkets to set up shop, worsening a standoff
that has paralysed parliament and jeopardised economic reforms.