* The BSE index is up 0.97 percent while the NSE index
gains 0.89 percent.
* The Indian government on Tuesday is expected to seek a vote in
the lower house of parliament on easing voting rules of
shareholders in banks to attract foreign investment and
separately, allow the central bank more powers.
* The government on Monday passed a finance bill in the lower
house of parliament which makes recovery of bad loans by banks
* Dealers are taking positions in state-run banks after the
government's move to push through banking reforms, citing cheap
valuations and hopes of NPA recovery.
* Bank shares leading gains: ICICI Bank is up 2.4
percent, Punjab National Bank gains 1 percent while
Bank of India rises 1.4 percent.