* The BSE index is up 0.64 percent and the NSE index
rises 0.56 percent.
* Shares in non-banking financial companies such as Shriram
Transport Finance Company rose a day after a banking
bill laying the groundwork for the issuance of new bank licenses
was approved by parliament.
* Shriram Transport Finance gains 2 percent while Mahindra &
Mahindra Financial Services is up 1.9 percent.
* Banking shares also gain, with State Bank of India up
1 percent and Bank of India rising 1.1 percent.
* The bill also seeks to draw foreign investment to the banking
sector by increasing shareholders' voting rights.