* The BSE index gains 0.4 percent while the NSE index
is up 0.5 percent.
* Oil companies were leading the gains after the Economic Times
reported petroleum ministry has proposed a gradual rise in
diesel prices, by 1 rupee a litre every month over a 10-month
* Fuel subsidies in India are borne by the government, marketing
and refining companies, as well as explorers.
* Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd gains 3.2 percent,
Indian Oil Corp Ltd rises 2.6 percent, while Bharat
Petroleum Corp Ltd is up 4.4 percent.
* Oil and Natural Gas Corp shares are up 2.3 percent.