* The BSE index is up 0.22 percent while the NSE index
is higher 0.12 percent.
* Gains were in line with Asian shares that rose on Wednesday
after rounds of profit taking from a sharp rally at the start of
the new year subsided.
* Tata Motors Ltd shares are up 3.1 percent after
hitting a record high, after Credit Suisse and CLSA upgraded
their ratings on the stock, citing expectations for improving
* Larsen & Toubro gains 0.7 percent after falling 5
percent in the previous four sessions on concerns over order
cancellations and weak investment cycle.
* Oil marketing companies gain on hopes of diesel price hikes.
Hindustan Petroleum Corp is up 2.15 percent while
Bharat Petroleum Corp rises 1.5 percent.