NEW DELHI India's economy will grow by 5.5 percent this fiscal year and 6-7 percent in the next fiscal year, as Asia's third-largest economy shows signs of reviving, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram said on Saturday.
Chidambaram said the economy would perform better than the 5 percent growth forecast by the government's Central Statistical Organisation (CSO) last week.
The 5 percent figure had been taken as an indication that the economy, growing at its slowest pace in a decade, could be in a worse state than anticipated.
(Reporting by Neha Dasgupta; Writing by Matthias Williams; Editing by Robert Birsel)
Trending On Reuters
- Lackluster U.S., China sales drag on Ford Motor profit, shares tumble
- Fall in Volkswagen brand profit shows lasting effects of scandal
- Shell misses expectations as earnings plunge on oil, BG costs
- SoftBank sees sharp recovery for Sprint, flags much investment for ARM
- Facebook shares hit record high as it beats estimates again