ROME An elephant broke out of a Rome circus on Friday, causing panic and drawing crowds of curious residents as she wandered around a northern suburb before being cornered by police, Italian press reported.
The elephant, named Mia, had almost reached a motorway exit road after two hours on the run by the time police caught up with her.
The circus owners recaptured her as she stopped at a roundabout during a moment of indecision, the news agency Ansa said.
(Reporting by Naomi O'Leary; Editing by Kevin Liffey)
Trending On Reuters
Donald Trump brought his message of walls and deportations to the doorstep of America’s busiest border crossing on Friday as the presumptive Republican presidential nominee greeted supporters in San Diego, amid one of the largest counter-protests organized against him. Full Article | Video
- Rio de Janeiro police investigate alleged gang rape that has shocked Brazilians
- Putin warns Romania, Poland - you may now be in Russia's cross-hairs
- U.N. urges Syrian government to stop blocking aid deliveries
- No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search intensifies
- Obama mourns dead in Hiroshima, calls for world without nuclear arms