ROME Centre-left leader Pier Luigi Bersani said he would act in Italy's best interests as a parliamentary election left the country in a "very delicate situation," according to a Monday statement.
Bersani said that the centre left won control of the lower house, as projections have indicate, though the final vote is not yet in. No party or coalition appears likely to win a majority in the Senate.
In Italy, both houses are needed to pass legislation, and a failure to come up with a majority in both houses could force another vote.
(Reporting by Steve Scherer)
Trending On Reuters
In the lead-up to an international court ruling on China's claims in the South China Sea this month, United States officials talked about rallying a coalition to impose "terrible" costs to Beijing's international reputation if flouted the court's decision. Full Article
- Obama urges Americans to get behind Clinton, slams Trump
- British-Bangladeshi survivor of cafe attack held at unknown location - lawyer
- Turkey dismisses military, shuts media outlets as crackdown deepens
- Lack of exercise costs world $67.5 billion and five million lives a year
- Trump draws ire after urging Russia to find 'missing' Clinton emails