ABIDJAN A Luxembourg-flagged, French-owned products tanker hijacked by suspected Nigerian pirates off Ivory Coast at the weekend has been released, and its 17-person crew is safe, the vessel's owner said on Wednesday.
SEA-Tankers, which owns the vessel Gascogne, lost contact with the ship on Sunday morning.
"SEA-Tankers are pleased to report that product tanker Gascogne has been released," the company said in a statement. "SEA-Tankers are very pleased all 17 seafarers are reported safe, however sadly two seafarers were injured during the incident but are being taken care off," the statement read.
(Reporting By Joe Bavier; Editing by Richard Valdmanis)
Trending On Reuters
India and the United States are in talks to help each other track submarines in the Indian Ocean, military officials say, a move that could further tighten defense ties between New Delhi and Washington as China steps up its undersea activities. Full Article
- As Asia's rice crop shrivels, food security fears resurface
- South Korea revives GPS backup project after blaming North for jamming
- Russia says talks to extend Syrian lull in fighting to Aleppo
- May Day rally in Los Angeles features strong anti-Trump theme
- Video: Clinton slams Trump's 'birther' movement against Obama