ABIDJAN A Luxembourg-flagged, French-owned products tanker hijacked by suspected Nigerian pirates off Ivory Coast at the weekend has been released, and its 17-person crew is safe, the vessel's owner said on Wednesday.
SEA-Tankers, which owns the vessel Gascogne, lost contact with the ship on Sunday morning.
"SEA-Tankers are pleased to report that product tanker Gascogne has been released," the company said in a statement. "SEA-Tankers are very pleased all 17 seafarers are reported safe, however sadly two seafarers were injured during the incident but are being taken care off," the statement read.
(Reporting By Joe Bavier; Editing by Richard Valdmanis)
Trending On Reuters
- Knife attacker in Japan kills 19 in their sleep at disabled centre
- Japan killings suspect offered to euthanise disabled, wanted 'world peace'
- U.S. Democrats set to nominate Clinton as they seek a way past discord
- Patient shoots dead doctor in Berlin before killing himself
- Wary of turmoil in holiday hotspots, Germans flock to 'safe' Denmark