ABIDJAN A Luxembourg-flagged, French-owned products tanker hijacked by suspected Nigerian pirates off Ivory Coast at the weekend has been released, and its 17-person crew is safe, the vessel's owner said on Wednesday.
SEA-Tankers, which owns the vessel Gascogne, lost contact with the ship on Sunday morning.
"SEA-Tankers are pleased to report that product tanker Gascogne has been released," the company said in a statement. "SEA-Tankers are very pleased all 17 seafarers are reported safe, however sadly two seafarers were injured during the incident but are being taken care off," the statement read.
(Reporting By Joe Bavier; Editing by Richard Valdmanis)
Trending On Reuters
Rebel groups urged U.S. President Barack Obama to do more to stop Russian bombing raids in Syria as pressure mounted on Washington ahead of a new round of peace talks this week. Full Article
- Khomeini grandson loses appeal to stand in Iranian election
- Iraq PM says sending ground troops to Syria would be "dangerous escalation"
- Republican Christie's U.S. presidential campaign in trouble
- WHO urges women to cover up, have safe sex in Zika areas
- Trump for president? Ladbrokes odds improve after New Hampshire