SEATTLE Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Monday that sales of its new Xbox One game console topped three million at the end of last year after launching in November.
The third generation of the Xbox is competing head-to-head with Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 4, also launched in November. Sony said it had sold 2.1 million PS4s by the first week of December.
It will not be clear which company is leading the console battle until Sony updates that figure.
The sales of the new Xbox are in line with expectations, said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities, who also estimates PlayStation sales around the 3 million mark.
Hot sales of both consoles have been a boon for Advance Micro Devices Inc AMD.N, which developed or supplied chips for both devices. (Reporting by Bill Rigby and Malathi Nayak. Editing by Andre Grenon)
Trending On Reuters
Indian IT services exports are likely to grow at a slower pace next fiscal year than in the recent past as global clients rein in technology spending, an industry lobby group said on Thursday. Full Article
- Cisco to pay $1.4 billion for Internet of Things firm Jasper
- Hackers attack 20 mln accounts on Alibaba's Taobao shopping site
- Sharp chooses Foxconn as preferred bidder over Japan fund -sources
- Google search chief Singhal to quit, to be replaced by AI head
- To silence propaganda, Iraq seeks to take Islamic State offline