X
Edition:
India

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Economy
    • Reuters Summits
    • Deals
    • Business Video
    • Company Results & Outlooks
    • Autos
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • Indices
    • Stock Quotes
    • India Markets
    • US Markets
    • Currencies
    • Commodities
    • Funds
  • India
    • Top News
    • India Insight
    • Monsoon
    • Top News Video
  • World
    • World Home
    • South Asia
    • Middle East
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • World Video
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Science
    • Tech Video
    • Innovation
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
    • Expert Zone
    • Macroscope
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
    • Breakingview Videos
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Sport & Life
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Bollywood
    • Entertainment
    • Oddly Enough
    • Health
    • Arts
    • Faithworld
    • Lifestyle Video
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
UPDATE 2-Wall Street Journal to charge mobile readers
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
Technology, Media and Telecommunications | Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:25am IST

UPDATE 2-Wall Street Journal to charge mobile readers

* Wall Street Journal to soon charge for mobile news

* Nonsubscribers to pay $2/week; Subscribers pay $1/week

* Murdoch says advertising environment "very much better" (Adds details about pricing, advertising and Hulu)

NEW YORK, Sept 15 The Wall Street Journal soon will begin charging people to read the paper on mobile devices such as their BlackBerrys, the paper's owner Rupert Murdoch said on Tuesday.

The move, which News Corp (NWSA.O) CEO Murdoch announced at a Goldman Sachs conference in New York, is an attempt to find a new way for the business daily to make more money from an increasingly popular way for people to access their news.

The Journal will start charging for mobile access "in one to two months," Murdoch said.

Under the plan, people who do not subscribe to the Journal would pay $2 a week for mobile access, and subscribers would pay $1 per week. Subscribers to both the print and online version of the paper will get mobile for free.

Charging for mobile access is one of the boldest ways yet that a U.S. newspaper has tried to increase revenue, at a time when falling circulation and print advertising revenue is threatening the survival of many newspapers.

The Wall Street Journal is one of the few U.S. newspapers that has successfully charged for access to news on the Internet.

This year, many U.S. newspaper publishers have been debating different ways to get people to pay for news online. It is unclear if any of them will work.

At the Goldman Sachs event, Murdoch said the environment for advertising is "very much better" than three or four months ago -- a view echoed by a number of other industry executives.

He added that the company was mulling options such as subscriptions and pay-per-view for Hulu, the popular online video destination founded by News Corp and NBC Universal, which is majority owned by General Electric. (GE.N) (Reporting by Robert Macmillan, writing by Franklin Paul; editing by Gunna Dickson and Maureen Bavdek)

Trending Stories

    Editor's Picks

    Modi goaded Pakistan in deliberate yet risky move

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In Technology, Media and Telecommunications

    BRIEF-VMware reaffirms previously provided FY 2016 revenue, cash flow guidance

    * Reaffirmed the fiscal year 2016 revenue and cash flow guidance that it had previously provided on July 18, 2016 - sec filing

    BRIEF-Gridsum Holding Inc files of U.S. IPO of up to $75 mln of ADS

    * Gridsum Holding Inc files of U.S. IPO of up to $75.0 million of American depositary shares representing class B ordinary shares

    BRIEF-HG Vora Capital Management LLC reports 9.96 percent stake in tronc Inc

    * HG Vora Capital Management LLC Reports 9.96 Percent Stake In Tronc Inc -Sec filing

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • RSS
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Newsletters | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy