BRUSSELS The president of the European Parliament welcomed the awarding of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize to the European Union on Friday, saying it recognised post-war reconciliation in Europe and would serve as an inspiration.
"(We are) deeply touched and honoured that the EU has won the Nobel Peace Prize," Martin Schulz said in a statement distributed on Twitter.
"Reconciliation is what the EU is about. It can serve as an inspiration. The EU is a unique project that replaced war with peace, hate with solidarity."
The Nobel committee said the EU deserved the award for its long-term role in uniting the continent after World War Two.
(Writing by Luke Baker)
Trending On Reuters
The U.S. military will announce on Friday that has it taken disciplinary action against 16 service members over a deadly Oct. 3 air strike in Afghanistan that destroyed a hospital run by the international medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres, U.S. officials told Reuters. Full Article
- North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labour - Xinhua
- Basement fire at Shanghai Hongqiao airport kills 2 - People's Daily
- Iran holds run-off parliamentary election - state TV
- North Korea tightens security ahead of congress - South Korea
- Magnitude 7.3 quake hits off coast of Vanuatu - USGS