BERLIN German Chancellor Angela Merkel told U.S. President Barack Obama on Wednesday that government monitoring of Internet communications needed to remain within proper limits.
"I made clear that although we do see the need for gathering information, the topic of proportionality is always an important one and the free democratic order is based on people feeling safe," Merkel said at a joint news conference with Obama.
"That's why the question of balance and proportionality is something we will continue to discuss and where we have agreed further exchange of information between the German Interior Ministry and the authorities concerned in the United States." (Reporting by Stephen Brown and Noah Barkin, editing by Gareth Jones)
Trending On Reuters
Microsoft Corp and Facebook Inc have agreed to jointly build a subsea cable across the Atlantic Ocean to meet growing demand for high-speed cloud and online services. Read
- Expandable space habitat fails to inflate in NASA's first test
- Brightest laser blows up water in cinematic and scientific first
- Amazon to deliver fresh food in Berlin soon - Manager Magazin
- EU governments agree new roaming rules for Netflix, Amazon
- New research shows consumers uninformed, wary of new vehicle technology