LOS ANGELES Iran hostage drama "Argo" won the Oscar for Best Film on Sunday, the top prize at the movie industry's most coveted awards, beating rival "Lincoln."
The thriller, which is based on a true story, recounts a CIA mission to rescue six American diplomats from Iran after the 1979 Islamic Revolution, under the cover of making a fake Hollywood film.
"Argo" was voted Best Film on Sunday after winning a slew of other Hollywood awards despite its director, Ben Affleck, being left off the Academy Award directing shortlist.
(Reporting By Jill Serjeant; Editing by Sandra Maler)
Trending On Reuters
Celebrities and the elite unleashed tech-themed haute couture at the Met Gala on Monday night in New York, lighting up the Twittersphere much like a dress worn by Claire Danes. Full Article
- Beyonce's 'Lemonade' tops Billboard, Prince reigns on album chart
- Hulk Hogan seeks second slam of Gawker over racist comments leak
- Still no will found for Prince as Minnesota court opens probate process
- Chicago woman sues Starbucks for putting too much ice in drinks
- Video: Batman and smells at TCM Classic Film Festival