JERUSALEM Air raid sirens sounded in Jerusalem on Friday and Israeli Army Radio said the alert was intended for Israeli towns near the holy city.
The siren lasted for less than a minute. The radio said its reporter in Jerusalem heard an explosion. No blast was heard in the Reuters bureau in the south of the city.
In Gaza, Hamas's military wing said it had fired a long-range rocket at Jerusalem, about 70 km (40) miles from the Palestinian enclave.
Israeli police said they had no immediate information on whether a rocket had hit the city.
(Writing by Jeffrey Heller, Editing by Crispian Balmer)
Trending On Reuters
The U.S. military will announce on Friday that has it taken disciplinary action against 16 service members over a deadly Oct. 3 air strike in Afghanistan that destroyed a hospital run by the international medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres, U.S. officials told Reuters. Full Article
- North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labour - Xinhua
- Basement fire at Shanghai Hongqiao airport kills 2 - People's Daily
- Iran holds run-off parliamentary election - state TV
- North Korea tightens security ahead of congress - South Korea
- Magnitude 7.3 quake hits off coast of Vanuatu - USGS