CAIRO U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on Tuesday for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and said an Israeli ground operation in the Palestinian enclave would be a "dangerous escalation" that must be avoided.
Ban was speaking at a news conference in Cairo after talks with Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby. Later on Tuesday, the U.N. secretary-general will travel to Israel for talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
(Writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Andrew Osborn)
Trending On Reuters
Republican Donald Trump and second-placed Democrat Bernie Sanders could be heading to an unconventional U.S. presidential debate in California, in the latest twist to an unusual campaign. Full Article
- Afghanistan sees Taliban leader as rigid conservative uninterested in peace
- Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro soccer disruption
- G7 agrees need strong message on South China Sea; China says don't "hype"
- Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- Exclusive - Bangladesh probes 2013 hack for links to central bank heist