CAIRO U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on Tuesday for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and said an Israeli ground operation in the Palestinian enclave would be a "dangerous escalation" that must be avoided.
Ban was speaking at a news conference in Cairo after talks with Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby. Later on Tuesday, the U.N. secretary-general will travel to Israel for talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
(Writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Andrew Osborn)
Trending On Reuters
Rebel groups urged U.S. President Barack Obama to do more to stop Russian bombing raids in Syria as pressure mounted on Washington ahead of a new round of peace talks this week. Full Article
- Khomeini grandson loses appeal to stand in Iranian election
- Iraq PM says sending ground troops to Syria would be "dangerous escalation"
- Republican Christie's U.S. presidential campaign in trouble
- WHO urges women to cover up, have safe sex in Zika areas
- Trump for president? Ladbrokes odds improve after New Hampshire