LOS ANGELES Jackson 5 singer Jermaine Jackson has petitioned to change his name, according to court documents filed earlier this week in Los Angeles.
The older brother of pop stars Michael and Janet Jackson, Jermaine wants to change his famous last name to Jacksun for "artistic reasons."
Asked why Jermaine wanted to change his name, his attorney Bret D. Lewis, who filed the petition on Jackson's behalf, told Reuters "If Prince and P Diddy can do it, why can't and shouldn't Jermaine?"
If all goes to plan, Jackson's name will officially change following a court hearing set for February 22.
Jermaine, 57, and brothers Jackie, Marlon and Tito are currently in Europe on a Unity Tour, under the name The Jacksons, performing hits made famous by the Jackson 5 along with a tribute to their late sibling Michael.
Jermaine Jackson unofficially adopted the name Mohammad Abdul Aziz after converting to Islam in 1989. (Reporting By Eric Kelsey, editing by Jill Serjeant and Bernard Orr)
Trending On Reuters
Celebrities and the elite unleashed tech-themed haute couture at the Met Gala on Monday night in New York, lighting up the Twittersphere much like a dress worn by Claire Danes. Full Article
- Beyonce's 'Lemonade' tops Billboard, Prince reigns on album chart
- Hulk Hogan seeks second slam of Gawker over racist comments leak
- Still no will found for Prince as Minnesota court opens probate process
- Chicago woman sues Starbucks for putting too much ice in drinks
- Video: Batman and smells at TCM Classic Film Festival