MANILA The Philippines issued a tsunami alert level 1, its lowest alert level, and warned residents along the country's eastern coast to stand-by for possible evacuation orders after a strong earthquake struck near the Solomon Islands on Wednesday.
"No evacuation yet, people should just be alert," Renato Solidum, head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, told Reuters.
(Reporting by Rosemarie Francisco; Editing by Ken Wills)
Trending On Reuters
A powerful earthquake struck Taiwan early on Saturday killing at least 12 people, most in a 17-storey apartment building that collapsed, with some people still known to be missing in the ruins of the complex as night fell, government officials said. Full Article | Video
- U.S. officials say North Korea may be nearing launch
- Zika found in saliva, urine in Brazil; U.S. offers sex advice
- As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- Insight - Unpaid and angry, some Chinese workers ditch holidays to protest
- Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, sixth man to walk on moon, dies at 85