MANILA The Philippines issued a tsunami alert level 1, its lowest alert level, and warned residents along the country's eastern coast to stand-by for possible evacuation orders after a strong earthquake struck near the Solomon Islands on Wednesday.
"No evacuation yet, people should just be alert," Renato Solidum, head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, told Reuters.
(Reporting by Rosemarie Francisco; Editing by Ken Wills)
Trending On Reuters
The selection of a hard-line cleric as the new Taliban chief on Wednesday all but dashes U.S. President Barack Obama's hopes for opening peace talks before he leaves office, one of his top foreign policy goals, current and former U.S. defence and intelligence officials said. Full Article
- Japan's Abe takes G7 leaders to shrine as economy tops summit agenda
- Exclusive: EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote - sources
- Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu - monitor SITE
- China says its people will never stand for Taiwan independence
- Eight protesters arrested at Trump rally in California