VATICAN CITY Pope Benedict will step aside completely from any role in running the Church after he resigns at the end of this month and will play no part in the election of his successor, the Vatican spokesman said on Tuesday.
"The pope has said in his declaration that he will use his time for prayer and reflection and will not have any responsibility for guidance of the Church or any administrative or government responsibility. This is absolutely clear and this is the sense of the resignation," Father Federico Lombardi told a press briefing at the Vatican.
(Reporting by Philip Pullella)
Trending On Reuters
N.Korea launched a long-range rocket on Sunday carrying what it has called a satellite, but its neighbours and Washington denounced the launch as a missile test, conducted in defiance of U.N. sanctions and just weeks after a nuclear bomb test. Full Article | Video
- More pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, about 120 people still trapped
- More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus - government
- Rubio falters in presidential debate
- Malaysia's new Twitter police target critics of PM Najib
- Critic of Vatican refuses to step down from sex abuse commission