VATICAN CITY Pope Benedict will step aside completely from any role in running the Church after he resigns at the end of this month and will play no part in the election of his successor, the Vatican spokesman said on Tuesday.
"The pope has said in his declaration that he will use his time for prayer and reflection and will not have any responsibility for guidance of the Church or any administrative or government responsibility. This is absolutely clear and this is the sense of the resignation," Father Federico Lombardi told a press briefing at the Vatican.
(Reporting by Philip Pullella)
Trending On Reuters
U.S. President Barack Obama on Saturday took aim at Democrats and Republicans alike in his final appearance headlining the star-studded White House correspondents' dinner, but saved his sharpest barbs for Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump. Full Article
- Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins "calm" plan elsewhere
- Sadr followers dig in inside Baghdad's Green Zone, political crisis deepens
- Muslim favourite to run London after racially charged campaign
- Six killed in Texas floods as severe weather lashes central U.S
- Philippine island rebels free 10 Indonesian hostages