Jan 9 The following are the top stories on the
New York Times business pages. Reuters has not verified these
stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
- Russian warplanes have carried out airstrikes to support
Turkey's offensive in northern Syria against the Islamic State,
an important evolution in a budding Russian-Turkish partnership.
- Advisers to President-elect Donald J. Trump's transition
team, facing complaints from Democrats that they are trying to
jam nominees through confirmation hearings, said on Sunday they
were confident all the appointees would be approved by the
- Turning attention away from her and toward Donald J.
Trump, Meryl Streep used her acceptance speech for the Cecil B.
DeMille Award at the Golden Globes to call out the
president-elect for mocking a disabled New York Times reporter
in 2015. nyti.ms/2iTk2eC
- Uber Technologies Inc on Sunday unveiled
Movement, a stand-alone website it hopes will persuade city
planners to consider Uber as part of urban development and
transit systems in the future.
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation has arrested a
Volkswagen AG executive who faces charges of
conspiracy to defraud the United States, two people with
knowledge of the arrest said on Sunday. nyti.ms/2jsSf87
- Amid nationwide marches, highway blockades and looting
stemming from widespread outrage over an increase in gas prices,
President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico went on national
television to appeal for understanding.
- Mexican officials said on Sunday that they had arrested an
American citizen in connection with the shooting of an American
diplomat in Guadalajara, Mexico's second-largest city.
(Compiled by Gaurika Juneja in Bengaluru)