TOKYO Workers at two nuclear plants in Fukushima reached safe positions inside the plants after a tsunami warning was issued after a strong earthquake struck northeastern Japan, a spokesman at Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco) (9501.T) said on Friday.
Kyodo news agency earlier said that Tepco had ordered workers at the Fukushima Daiichi and Daini plants to evacuate.
Tepco earlier said there were no irregularities at the two plants after the quake.
The Tepco spokesman, at its Tokyo head office, said it had not yet confirmed the arrival of the tsunami at the plants. (Reporting by Risa Maeda)
Trending On Reuters
Republican front-runner Donald Trump went from long-shot contender to become the party's presumptive nominee on Tuesday with a commanding win in Indiana, and the party began to coalesce around him as top rival Ted Cruz bowed out of the race. Full Article
- Exiting 2016 race, Republican Cruz leaves himself a path forward
- Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- Rebels launch assault in Syria's Aleppo, diplomats try to revive truce
- Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile tests
- Kerry warns Syria's Assad of 'repercussions' if truce, transition fail