WASHINGTON A tsunami warning has been lifted for Japan, Taiwan and a number of Pacific island countries but remained in effect for the Philippines, Indonesia and Belau following a 7.9 magnitude earthquake on Friday off the Philippines.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning center issued the updated warning, which also kept a number of areas of the Pacific on watch for a potential tsunami following the quake.
(Reporting by Vicki Allen; Editing by Bill Trott)
Trending On Reuters
Barack Obama on Friday became the first incumbent U.S. president to visit Hiroshima, site of the world's first atomic bombing, in a gesture Tokyo and Washington hope will showcase their alliance and reinvigorate efforts to rid the world of nuclear arms. Read
- N.Korea threatens retaliation after S.Korean warning shots
- Islamic State drives Syria rebels from near Turkish border
- Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- Bashing Trump not enough for Democrats to win Latino vote, advocates warn
- Iraqis fleeing Mosul to Syria, up to 50,000 anticipated - UNHCR