FRANKFURT, March 6 German defence and automotive
group Rheinmetall said on Monday it had booked a $6.5
million U.S. Air Force contract to supply ammunition for the
F-35 multi-role fighter, adding that further orders were likely
* The contract comprises the supply of several ten thousand
rounds in four lots, with delivery starting in December 2017,
Rheinmetall said in a statement.
* The ammunition is Rheinmetall's new 25mm x 137 Frangible
Armour Piercing (FAP), which it developed for, and in
cooperation with, NATO air forces flying the F-35.
* It said further major orders could be expected since the
U.S. Air Force was procuring a large number of F-35s and
numerous other nations including Britain, Italy and Denmark had
also chosen the aircraft.
* The ammunition ordered by the U.S. Air Force will be made
at Rheinmetall Switzerland, the group said, but added that it
planned to have assembly for possible follow-up contracts done
by a joint venture in the United States.
* Other potential customers will be supplied from locations
belonging to Rheinmetall Waffe Munition Schweiz AG, it said.
(Reporting by Maria Sheahan; editing by Jason Neely)