Factbox on South African athlete Oscar Pistorius, who was arrested by police in connection with the shooting death of his girlfriend at his home in Pretoria on Thursday.
* Born on November 22, 1986 in Johannesburg.
* Born without fibulas, he has both legs amputated below the knees before turning one-year-old.
* After learning to walk on prosthetic legs, Pistorius becomes a keen sportsman in high school. He turns to sprint training in 2003 to rehab from a serious knee injury playing rugby.
* Running on carbon fibre prosthetic blades, earning him the nickname 'Blade Runner', Pistorius becomes Paralympic gold medallist and world record holder over 200m a year later.
* In January 2008, he is banned from running against able-bodied athletes by the IAAF, who deem his blades to provide an unfair advantage. However, four months later the Court for Arbitration for Sport rules he is eligible to compete in IAAF-sanctioned events. Caps year by winning three golds at Summer Paralympics in Beijing.
* Qualifies for the South African team for the 2011 IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, where he reaches the semi-finals of the 400m. Helps South Africa reach the relay final in Daegu but is dropped for the race. Awarded silver medal after South Africa finish second.
* Selected for South Africa's London Games team and in August 2012 becomes the first double amputee to compete on the track at an Olympic Games, finishing second in his men's 400m heat, but fails to make the final. He also anchors the relay team to eighth place in the London final.
* Carries the flag for South Africa at the opening ceremony of the London Paralympic Games and wins two gold medals.
(Compiled by Peter Rutherford in Singapore; Editing by John O'Brien)
Trending On Reuters
PARIS - Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal sauntered to opening wins at the French Open on Tuesday but Andy Murray, one of their main title rivals, came perilously close to going home before joining them in the second round. Full Article
- Russian Olympic Committee: samples from 2008 Olympics showed positive results for 14 Russian athletes
- Ronaldo declares himself fit for Champions League final
- Liverpool, United fined by UEFA over fans' misconduct
- French teenager served double bagel on nightmare debut
- Rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated, Schiavone says