LONDON Mitchell Cole, who scored in the first competitive club game at the new Wembley Stadium, has died at the age of 27.
Cole, who found the net for Stevenage against Kidderminster in the 2007 FA Trophy final at Wembley, retired as a professional player last year because of a heart condition.
"We are sad to hear former Southend, Stevenage and Oxford player Mitchell Cole has passed away. Our thoughts are with his family and friends," the English Football League said on Twitter.
Cole was married to the sister of former England midfielder Joe Cole.
(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ed Osmond)
Trending On Reuters
PARIS - Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal sauntered to opening wins at the French Open on Tuesday but Andy Murray, one of their main title rivals, came perilously close to going home before joining them in the second round. Full Article
- Russian Olympic Committee: samples from 2008 Olympics showed positive results for 14 Russian athletes
- Ronaldo declares himself fit for Champions League final
- Liverpool, United fined by UEFA over fans' misconduct
- French teenager served double bagel on nightmare debut
- Rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated, Schiavone says