TOKYO Sony Corp (6758.T) said it has sold 5.3 million Playstation 4 game consoles as of February 8, surpassing its full-year target ahead of its release in Japan next week.
Sony had said that it hoped to sell 5 million units by the end of March after releasing the Playstation 4 on November 29 in the United States, Western Europe and Latin America and rolling it out across other Asian countries since then.
The console will go on sale in Japan on February 22, the last country currently scheduled to handle the device.
Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said in January that it had sold more than 3 million of its Xbox One console by the end of December after it was also released in late November.
(Reporting by Sophie Knight; Editing by Matt Driskill)
Trending On Reuters
Consumers are more aware of self-driving cars, but slightly less interested in riding in them, according to two surveys conducted after a fatal crash of a Tesla equipped with self-driving technology. Full Article
- Apple asks U.S. Supreme Court to rule against Samsung over patents
- Alphabet and Amazon wind up stellar quarter for big tech
- EXCLUSIVE - California regulator says testing to begin on Volkswagen diesel fix
- Don't play Pokemon on the railway tracks, Bulgaria says
- Sony keeps profit outlook as PlayStation 4 software sales surge