LONDON British Foreign Secretary William Hague accused Syrian President Bashar al-Assad of hypocrisy and said his call in a speech on Sunday for a peace initiative to end the civil war would fool no one.
"Assad speech beyond hypocritical. Deaths, violence and oppression engulfing Syria are his own making, empty promises of reform fool no one," he said in a message on Twitter.
(Reporting by Tim Castle; Editing by Janet Lawrence)
Trending On Reuters
The Afghan Taliban have named Haibatullah Akhunzada their new leader, a spokesman said in a statement on Wednesday that gave the group's first official confirmation that former leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour had been killed in a U.S. drone strike. Full Article
- Ten killed in suicide attack near Afghan capital
- No sign of EgyptAir plane technical problems before takeoff - sources
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Paying the ultimate price on Mount Everest
- Insight: Philippine death squads very much in business as Duterte set for presidency