BEIRUT At least 25 people were killed on Sunday when Syrian government forces attacked the town of Helfaya in Hama province with warplanes and artillery for the first time since February, opposition activists said.
A Youtube video showed at least three bodies lying in a street and several more inside cars, some disfigured beyond recognition. Body parts lay near walls and in a house nearby.
An activist who declined to be named said the town, a rebel stronghold, came under fire after insurgent fighters attacked several checkpoints just outside it.
(Reporting by Mariam Karouny; Editing by Tom Pfeiffer)
Trending On Reuters
- Knife attacker in Japan kills 19 in their sleep at disabled centre
- Japan killings suspect offered to euthanise disabled, wanted 'world peace'
- U.S. Democrats set to nominate Clinton as they seek a way past discord
- Patient shoots dead doctor in Berlin before killing himself
- Wary of turmoil in holiday hotspots, Germans flock to 'safe' Denmark