GENEVA U.N. human rights investigator Carla del Ponte said on Monday the "time has come" for the Security Council to refer war crimes in Syria to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for prosecution.
"We follow the chain of command to establish the responsibility of high political and miltiary suspects for the commission of crimes," she told a news briefing as the team released their latest report. "I think it is urgent that the ICC takes up this case of very high officials."
(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Jon Hemming)
Trending On Reuters
The Syrian who blew himself up in southern Germany, wounding 15 people, had pledged allegiance to Islamic State on a video found on his mobile phone, the Bavarian Interior Minister said on Monday. Full Article
- Two teens killed, many injured in Florida nightclub shooting
- Turkey detains 42 journalists in crackdown as Europe sounds alarm
- Scotland's Sturgeon preparing for independence to keep post-Brexit options open
- EPA clears path to regulate carbon emissions from U.S. aircraft
- Regional armies struggle in last push against Boko Haram