AMMAN A four way meeting between senior officials from the United States, Russia, the United Nations and the Syrian opposition is scheduled in Munich on Saturday to discuss a political transition in the country, Syrian opposition sources said.
Syrian National Coalition President Moaz Alkhatib will meet U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, United Nations envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, Syrian Coalition officials said on Friday.
The meeting, on the sidelines of the Conference of Security and Cooperation in Europe, comes after Alkhatib survived a challenge to his authority after saying he would be willing to talk with Syrian officials without Assad stepping down first.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis, Amman newsroom; Editing by Jon Boyle)
Trending On Reuters
The Iraqi army stormed to the southern edge of Falluja under U.S. air support on Monday, launching a direct assault to retake the city from Islamic State (IS) militants and help protect the nearby capital Baghdad from suicide bombings. Read
- Syrian opposition negotiator quits after talks' failure
- Mass coral bleaching casts shadow over future of Great Barrier Reef
- Turkish shelling kills 28 Islamic State fighters north of Aleppo - TV
- Roadside bomb kills two police in southeast Turkey - security sources
- Against a backdrop of motorcycles, Trump pledges to help veterans