AMMAN The Syrian opposition will demand "qualitative military support" at an international conference in Rome to help in its struggle to oust President Bashar al-Assad, a leading Assad opponent said on Wednesday.
"We ask our friends to give us every backing to achieve gains on the ground and help reach a political solution from a position of strength, not weakness," Riad Seif of the Syrian National Coalition umbrella group told Reuters a day before a Friends of Syria conference in the Italian capital.
"We expect to receive political, humanitarian and qualitative military support," he said.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis, Amman newsroom; Editing by Michael Roddy)
Trending On Reuters
India and the United States are in talks to help each other track submarines in the Indian Ocean, military officials say, a move that could further tighten defense ties between New Delhi and Washington as China steps up its undersea activities. Full Article
- As Asia's rice crop shrivels, food security fears resurface
- South Korea revives GPS backup project after blaming North for jamming
- Russia says talks to extend Syrian lull in fighting to Aleppo
- May Day rally in Los Angeles features strong anti-Trump theme
- Video: Clinton slams Trump's 'birther' movement against Obama